Friday, May 20, 2005

An update on life

Today marked the culmination of my first week of school. A weekend break will be nice. As much as I enjoy four hours of straight note taking...

Summer is finally showing itself. Although today's high was only around 95 degrees, the humidity caused my family to head to the neighborhood pool for refuge for the majority of the morning. The little boys are beginning to look like little brown Indians, and the garden is yielding an abundance of sweet, crunchy green beans. Ahhh. Summer.

I've been struck with the importance of introducing children to the finest of the arts while they are still young. As children, my sisters and I spent many Saturdays at the Dallas Museum of Art. Homeschooling granted us ample opportunity to go to the Dallas Symphony or the opera. Today, my parents continue in the tradition of instilling a love of art in their children. Having successfully bequeathed this love to their daughters, they are now working on their sons, ages three and four. I came home from college to find William humming along with Tchaikovsky's Waltz of the Flowers. Yesterday, the boys went to several of the Fort Worth museums.
What a difference from the children in the school I observed last semester. A tuneless song about pizza instead of Tchaikovsky; cheap examples of still life instead of the great works of art. When I become a teacher, I hope I never insult my students with second-rate art. Children can and must learn to appreciate the best.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

So is blogspot your internet medium of choice? Shall I discontinue checking up on your xanga? How interesting the electronic world is. I am communicating to you now via AIM, and yet I am also typing to you on your blog. One is immediate, the other delayed... but both are forms of the written word. Hmmm. Why this? What this? How this? Now this? Who this? Huh this?

Ehehe... I shall stop.

STOP.

May 20, 2005 4:28 PM  
Blogger Tumenor said...

Just remember... simply because something is a classic doesn't mean it's "the best". Sure, it has its value. Why else do people remember the name Tchaikovsky or Mozart, Bach, and others? Yes classical music has its place.

While songs of pizza may not be the most moving, challenging, talented... even bearable form of music, it too may have its place.

A song is a song, no matter who the artist. So long as we give praise to the Lord through our words, our talents, our creativity, then even the dullest of songs can be beautiful.

May 20, 2005 11:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home