Friday, July 22, 2005

The faith of a child

Tonight at dinner the topic turned to theology. Not deep Dallas Theological Seminary theology. Four-year-old boy theology. Nathan’s friend joined us for dinner, and the two enjoyed flaunting their knowledge of the Bible and of God.

The first topic was God’s size in relation to tortillas. Hudson announced that his tortilla was the longest, and Nathan informed his playmate that God was longer. This led to some confusion as to whether God actually is a tortilla or is merely bigger than a tortilla.

The conclusion reached that no, God is not a tortilla and that yes, He is bigger than one, the boys ventured onto the subject of creation. Hudson described a numbering system that God used when creating the earth, the idea probably stemming from hearing of the seven days of creation. Nathan, then, proudly boasted of his superior knowledge of the subject: “No, He just spoke, and it … made.”

On the subject of Nathan, I have been reading to him from The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe. I love to watch a little one experience something great for the first time. The plot, of course, is enthralling. The writing, too, is leagues above most children’s stories. While reading descriptions of the children’s feelings when first hearing Aslan’s name or of spring coming to Narnia, I like sneaking peaks at my little brother and seeing the far-off Narnia look in his eyes. He has been introduced to a new world, one that he will become very familiar with. Now, he only grasps the basic elements of the plot. Each time he reads it, however, he will understand more and more, enjoy it on a deeper level.

Perhaps this is why I chose early childhood education. I want to introduce children to greatness and truth while they are still young so that they will seek after it for their entire lives.

15 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

What a chuckle and a "hmm." Considering its contrast to my general approach to children, I respect your reflections very much. The children you bless will feel the influence throughout their lives, and it will be the last thing to be effaced by age or illness.

July 24, 2005 1:45 PM  
Blogger Tumenor said...

Wow! For a Yellow Jacket editor... there sure were a lot of fragments! =P

July 24, 2005 5:39 PM  
Blogger Tumenor said...

Wow... then there must be a lot of short, 8-year-old, english prodigies running around the face of the earth. ;-)

July 25, 2005 6:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That should be "short, eight-year-old English prodigies."

July 25, 2005 10:17 PM  
Blogger Luddie said...

But Wilson, he *knew* the rules and was entitled to break them.

July 26, 2005 9:28 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

I think you're all nerds...

July 26, 2005 10:48 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Um, that was said in a very loving and caring way of course... I didn't mean to kill the conversation... ::hangs head in shame::

July 27, 2005 2:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmph.

July 28, 2005 8:14 AM  
Blogger Luddie said...

I understand. My mother used to always lovingly and caringly call me a nerd when she tucked me in at night.

;D

July 28, 2005 8:16 AM  
Blogger Karen said...

Yes, I'm sorry, that was very wrong of me. What I should have said was, you're all SARCASTIC nerds. ;-P

July 28, 2005 11:14 AM  
Blogger Luddie said...

::looks about blithely as if a complete stranger had spoken::

This is Dex. He is not married.

August 01, 2005 9:57 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

OH MY GOSH! I'VE FOUND A COMMUNITY OF JOURNALISTIC WRITERS! I forgot about your deal with the newspaper, Courtney.

Well, I've run into some problems with the editor of the student newspaper, and I would greatly appreciate some help!

Tell me, Courtney, if you like this introduction...

"When freshmen get their student ID cards, they also get a card instructing them not to use their IDs as ice scrapers. Perhaps a more efficient use of the accompanying card would be a listing of the benefits of this handy piece of plastic that are less obvious and less widely known."

...and the advice that came with it. See my blog for the advice and then tell me if I'm deluding myself or if I'm right.

August 01, 2005 11:38 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

okay so do you have any recommendations? i know i'm totally inexperienced in journalism... but i don't think journalism = bad writing by default hahahahaha

August 01, 2005 6:28 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

oh and i love this post. it is very very very cute

August 01, 2005 6:28 PM  
Blogger Luddie said...

Even Hitler had to start somewhere.

For the Cause!!!

August 05, 2005 9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home